Monday, March 29, 2010

Thoughts of weddings are in the air!

I've been daydreaming about my wedding day ever since Ben and I first got together (more than five years ago!) and so I've also been collecting things and ideas for our future wedding and also things that simply remind me of it! These cake toppers are a prime example. I don't anticipate actually putting any one of these toppers on our cake, but they sure look great displayed together. Where will I get the "actual" cake topper from you wonder? Well, of course I plan to make it! :) In addition to collecting toppers, I've also been hoarding a stash of antique and vintage millinery and other small doodads that I will probably use in the topper. It will be hopefully be very grand and wonderful and filled with all sorts of vintage goodies! In fact...I've been thinking about starting on it soon...that way when it gets closer to wedding time, I can concentrate on other things.

Well...I guess I'll worry about that after Easter. For now, here are the other pieces in my collection:

This fantasical crepe paper couple are very tall and very detailed and in great condition. They are about a foot tall and are really interesting. However, the only thing I really like about the bride is her ruffly skirt and her little pink pantaloons and blue garter belt (which of course she doesn't plan on showing off until the honeymoon!). The rest of her bothers me for some reason. She has poor posture and very manly shoulders. Hmmm....

What do you think? Is he better off as a bachelor? I think he's just charming by himself!

This sweet 1930's bisque couple was snatched up at Brimfield from an old guy (the best kind of guy to buy from!) for a mere $2! Or was it $4?

This was a little more expensive and from ebay...but I couldn't help myself. Nutcups, crepe paper, and bride and groom's hold a soft spot in my heart and these two are so adorable! I've never seen any others like them!

This was the first topper I picked up several years ago at Brimfield. Not too terribly old (probably the 50's or 60's) and not in great shape...but I think they are just charming regardless!

In honor of our new engagement, I've set up a little cluster of wedding goodies, including some of my handmade toppers, on top of the china cabinet. They look so cute together! Like a mass wedding!

My Ben....Swoon! :)

3 comments:

Terri Gordon said...

Oh Crystal, I am so excited for you. My son was married last summer, it is so much fun planning. I also collect vintage wedding cake toppers, I always feel so sorry for them, I can't believe families would not want to keep something so precious. Have fun planning and when is the wedding?. Will keep watching. Terri

laurie -magpie ethel said...

Love the little collection of wedding toppers you have on your china cabinet...perfect to get you in the mood! I have a collection of them as well that I have in my china hutch year round....so excited for you guys!

Anonymous said...

Ahhh Sweet Love!
I am so happy for you!
I have been collecting wedding toppers for years. I love to shock my husband's new business associates by whispering, "They are from all my wedding cakes!" Wives always get it.
much happiness to you, Dottie