Saturday, February 15, 2014

How I know my Dad loves me... :)

A couple of weeks ago my dad stopped by to drop off a few things...including a wet bag of just collected seashells.  The bag was heavy and smelled a little like dead fish...and my heart melted!  Dad had taken my little sister to a track meet in Connecticut and had spent some time at a nearby beach.  He knows how much I love beach combing and seashells and thought he'd do a little beach combing of his own...for me.  Thanks Dad!!

I love oyster shells (they're probably my favorite).  He managed to find some nice ones.  I love how even a perfect oyster shell is still a little wonky...and I especially love the flat side. 

Most of the other shells were slipper shells.  Very abundant on the New England coast.  Most of these were far from perfect, which was perfectly fine with me!  I gave them a quick rinse in the sink and then....

Decorated the top of the large potted plant in my living room.  It looks awesome!  Errr...wait a second...I guess it's hard to overlook a plant in dire need of trim until you take a photo of it...

 There, that's better.  Don't the shells really liven up the ho hum plant?  This plant, which is actually two different types of plants that I potted together, were rescued from the office in Boston I used to work at.  The plant guy was going to toss them because they were looking rather sad and had done their duty as office decor.  I offered up my house as a retirement home and there they've been for the past 7 or so years.  :)

 The shells have great weather and creature beaten texture with all the tiny holes...

Thanks Dad!  I love you too!  :)

1 comment:

Jone Hallmark said...

What a wonderful gift from your sweet dad! Nothing like that......one of a kind!!
Lucky day.....