Wednesday, June 18, 2008

The White Cabinet...

I'm so excited! Last night I finally had a little bit of time to fill up my pretty new dining room cabinet with odds and ends. Isn't it pretty? Me and the cabinet were meant to be...seriously. It'll be a little long-winded, but I'll tell you the story....

A couple of weeks ago I got out of work at the same time I normally do. As usual I walk down to the subway station. But not so usually, there are a gajillion people down there on the platform. After waiting for forever for no train (apparently there was a fire at another station and they shut the trains down) everyone went outside to wait for a shuttle bus. There were no buses to be seen and I was last in line. I was getting impatient after waiting for so long already and I knew it would take forever to get a bus and standing around for longer than I already had was the last thing I wanted to do. So I decided to just started walking in the direction of home. It would have taken me three hours to walk the entire way, so I called Ben for a ride. He was busy preparing dinner and told me I'd have to wait until he was done to come pick me up. Walking was better than standing, so just kept walking towards home. It wouldn't have been too bad...it was pretty warm out...but it also happened to be really windy AND raining. When there's a windy rain on the ocean, you can forget about trying to use an umbrella. So I was pretty wet pretty fast. After a half hour of trudging down the street, past big buildings, over bridges, etc. etc., I came upon a sign that said something like "Antique Treasures This Way". Was I dreaming? Was I delusional? Was I in the black forest on my way to the Land of Oz? I followed the sign a little ways and low and behold! An antique store! Open at 6:30 on a weekday! Of course I went in and started browsing. There was a lot of junk, but there were some good deals too! I found an awesome old shabby mirror with etch glass for $20 (I'll have to show you a photo sometime) and an antique box for $8 that I plan to cover with shells...AND I found this beautiful white doll cabinet. It had beautiful molding and glass doors in front and glass panels on the sides. It wasn't old, but it was a little banged up and it's shelves were missing. The tag on it said $50. I had to have it! I promptly paid the lady and of course it wouldn't fit in our car so I had to leave it there for a week and a half until Ben could pick it up in his work van (he's so sweet). After I got it home it took me a while to get over to home depot to pick up wood and molding for the shelves. But last Sunday I made the shelves and cleaned it up and last night I put a whole bunch of goodies inside (including my infamous froggie pitcher that I can't stop talking about)! Isn't it dreamy?

Another side note...I got into a bit of a painting frenzy when I was painting the shelves and grabbed the closest item to my right and started painting that too. It happened to be a little wicker plant stand I picked up at a garage sale for nearly nothing. It's was an ugly wood color and with it's fresh white paint and embellishment of brown velvet ribbon and vintage millinery flowers, it now looks so good I could eat it up! Take a look at the photo and see for yourself! :)


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Really gorgeous I love your work it is amazing I have been rejected 2-3 times by Boston Handmade Hope to go to show! Denise
Hull,Mass.