Friday, July 10, 2009

How to make a Moss Terrarium

Last weekend while camping in upstate New York, I decided to take the opportunity to build a couple of little moss terrariums to take home with me as a souvenir. I don't normally like to take things from the wild, but with the exceedingly rainy summer, there was no shortage of moss and I took only a little.

The woodscape was gorgeous and so lush. The ground was still damp after a rainy night and moss and ferns greeted me in fields of green. I climbed a muddy dirt path (normally used for rowdy boys and their four wheelers) up to the top of a shady hill. The huge patches of moss took refuge under the pine trees and when you pressed your hand on top, it sank down a good 6 inches...talk about billowy!


I brought two jars with me...a medium sized vintage canning jar and a pretty and tall apothecary jar. I forgot my trowel and had to improvise with a flimsy camping spoon (don't forget your trowel!!).

Start out your terrarium by putting a layer of pebbles in the bottom for drainage. A thin layer of charcoal will help keep it healthier. Then add an inch or two of first. Finally...add moss! Try to get some dirt with your moss when you dig it up. Moss doesn't have roots, but they anchor themselves to the ground and you'd like to keep some of that ground with them. I also transplanted a tiny fern. Lastly, I added a neat stick and some pretty rocks. Normally you would need to sprinkle a little water in too, but with all the rain, there was no need this time. When you bring it home, make sure there's not too much condensation or else the plants will rot and maybe even get moldy (hopefully the charcoal will help prevent this). Make sure there's some condensation...you don't want your moss to dry out. And don't put in direct sunlight. Moss likes shade. Finally...enjoy!! :)


I was able to find several different kinds of moss, including some snowy reindeer moss!


And now I'm enjoying them on the front porch! :)

5 comments:

luckygirlgifts said...

How neat. Lucky you. I wish I lived somewhere where that would be a possibility.
Yours are fabulous.

Sammy Girl said...

Wonderful terrarium!
I used your flag image in my French-y 4th post. Hope that was okay ...
Have a super weekend!
Betty :)

Judy said...

What a fun project. Enjoy your beauties.

Artsy Fartsy Junkin Finds said...

Gorgeous terrarium!! Thanks for a great post, Blessings,Janna

Mutuelle sante said...

Thank you so much it is a good help, now to make a moss terrarium is easy with the help of your guidance. Kudos