Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Enchanting Weekend...


This past weekend was quite enchanting!! Ben's mom was visiting on Saturday so we decided to take her up to Marblehead, a quiet fishing town just north of the city. I was enchanted the minute we got there. The town is quite historical and most of the buildings and homes along the water are very old and very quiet. The town was build on a sort of rocky cliff...they nestled the houses and stores right into the nooks and crannies and it still sits there, nice and cozy.

I also got to wear my new vintage handmade dress from the 40's. It's got the kind of skirt that twirls completely out. We were on the top floor of a little art museum and Ben was playing the grand piano while I twirl about so many times I nearly fell over.


I only snapped a few photos with my phone, but you can see how each house is swaddled right into the neighborhood with a tiny lush garden in front making it feel like we were in a little English town.


Ben sits on a bench overlooking the harbor. We sat there for quite some time, napping and relishing the breeze that took away the uncomfortable heat.


I saw this painting in the little art museum and was really taken by it. It looks much more captivating in person. It was among generic images of boats and landscapes and portraits of people I didn't know. It's bright pastel colors and loose rendering was unique...and rarely can I resist chubby cows.


On Sunday Ben and I ventured down to Providence RI. It's only 45 minutes south and we really don't go there enough. I love the neighborhood that sits along the sides of a giant hill...that too seems very English to me. We went over the hill for the first time ever and discovered a great stretch of street that had cute vintage shops and little restaurants.

For our dinner, Ben happily chose an Indian restaurant nestled into the side of a storefront and earlier found this awesome hat that makes him look like a Louisiana musician.


A lot of the stores were closed on Sunday but I peeked in the window of one store and saw these glorious little reproductions by Wendy Addison and Cody Foster. Very inspiring!


I also saw an old McCall magazine from 1960 at an antique store and flipped through it, finding this wonderful tutorial on how to make honeycomb tissue hot air balloons. These are just too charming! Now I just need to get my hands on some honeycomb tissue balls....

And lastly, I picked up this little trio from an antique store just as it was about to close. These are old store stock mohair bunny's from the 1950's or so. I've seen these well played with in big size...but never in mini size like these. They're maybe 5" tall. So cute! :)

An enchanting weekend indeed!

2 comments:

laurie -magpie ethel said...

What a fun weekend! I need one like that - we having just been running like crazy around here...The vintage honeycomb balloons are awesome...MAKE THEM!

mIzZ (hONeY) bEe aka Marlene said...

Oh Crystal - please do make the hot air ballons...on my post for August 15th or 16th there is a store called PARCEL and Nancy the owner had Hot Air balloons in her display toooo cool...I know that you would do an awesome job at it...have a honey of a night - sweet dreams! grace & peace 2 U Marlene