Monday, June 20, 2011

I've been on the Treasure Hunt!

I've been back on the hunt and certainly have some treasures to show for it! These are all either from the Lake George town wide garage sale, the thrift store down the street, or a really great old lady garage sale up the street. I have to say, the garage sales are smokin' in these parts! A big relief from the all too often slim pickings I experienced in Boston.

I have two items tied in first place as favorites. They were both found at the little old lady sale and were both a buck a piece, which makes them all the better! A woodpecker toothpick holder not only holds the toothpicks, but when you push him down, he'll pick a toothpick up for you! I'm definitely putting this guy on the dining room table when we eat my dad's corn on the cob this summer (and speaking of dad, Happy belated Father's Day to my dad and all those other dad's out there!).

And also tied in first place are these black Americana clown teapot salt and pepper shakers. The reason I like them so much is because they have the perfect chippy patina, making them look old, but not destroyed, and because their faces don't remind me of clowns, but rather of images of vintage Halloween jack-o-lanterns. Yay!

On a more utilitarian front, this super long cloth tape measure will certainly come in handy in the future...all of my tape measures have been mini. Until now that is.

These cake toppers were also found at the little old lady sale. The two ladies were sister's and said that a lot of the stuff belonged to their mother. I wonder if the plaster cake topper with velvet flower bouquet was their parent's when they married and then the more modern plastic 50th anniversary topper was for the same couple, 50 years later. It very likely is the case and I feel honored to be the new owner of these special pieces.

And speaking of weddings, all the these glasses, vases, and candle sticks will grace the table at our wedding. The shell and seed necklace have another creative fate.

Some other vases and such, including a cool little bell jar with glass base and super old dried flowers inside. I think the bell jar will look smashing displayed near my hair wreath.

Some Avon perfume containers almost never fail to please. Can you guess which is my favorite? (hint: it might contain honey instead of perfume!)

I have a weak spot for shell art. To me, seashells are the decorations of summertime. I already have a little trio of shell ships, and this forth, larger piece will fit right in. The pink colorful vase is really sweet...especially since it looks like it's plastered in candy. Yum!

A few little holiday pieces...and melty ones at that. I don't usually collect anything made from wax if I can help it...I'm not all that great at climate control, but this pretty turkey was too good to pass up. The other piece, a hand crafted Christmas treasure is made from....soap. I can't believe it's lasted all these years in one piece...I'm quite impressed! I bought it for the goodies on top, but now I have a new found respect for it and think I'll keep it as is.

These old rubber molds are super neat and will look great in my studio. Who knows, maybe I'll even use them someday...they do have directions inside.

I can hardly pass on a celluloid Kewpie...this one is missing her arms, but she's still cute as a button in her homemade dress.

The little old lady sale had tons of owls and I probably should have gotten more, but these guys were my favorites, especially those funny flocked ones flanking the others.

I have a lot of soft spots, I'll admit....but tiny old plastic animals hit on another soft spot. And the blue cow eraser is just like the ones they used to (and maybe still do) sell at the dairy princess booth at the county fair where I showed cows as a kid. The smell of them is nostalgic.

These cool frosted Christmas lights still work and I'm looking forward to using them this year!

And last but certainly not least, a big collection of vintage magnets. My grandmother had some of these and they gave me a warm and fuzzy feeling inside when I found them.

All of these new treasures are really getting me motivated to open up my long dormant Vintage From Crystal Etsy shop again! The shop where vintage reigns supreme. Stay tuned for an official announcement, but if you wish, you just might be able to score some of the goodies I just scored! :)

One more note: I'm loving all the comments on the giveaway post! Thanks for participating! If you haven't entered already, there's still time. I'll announce the winner on Friday.

7 comments:

Barbara said...

I must be getting old because I remember making those soap ornaments with my mom! I think Lux soap was the preferred brand because it had a nice oval shape. (I keep my candle collection in plastic boxes under the bed, by the way - not too hot, not too cold, and not too damp.)

GrayFlannel said...

It's always so much fun to see what you bring back from your treasure hunts. I remember that style of magnets too. The hive perfume bottle, (OK, OK and the turkey too) are my favorites. I've had a thing for bees and beehives lately and have started collecting them. Great news about your store reopening! Thanks for sharing! ~ Lori

A Rose Without A Thorn said...

Wow Crystal, What a bonanza of goodies. I especially love the two big owls. What great garage sales there are where you now live. Enjoy!!! Maureen

Lisa W. said...

What a Wonerful bunch of items ! Good for you !

Mary B. said...

Crystal, Thank you again for showing us all that you found. My favorite is the bride and groom cake topper. I have never seen one like that. I love the couple and her bouquet is so pretty. I also like the turkey candle. Actually, I liked everything you found. You always find wonderful things.
Mary B.

Fran. said...

Hi Crystal! Glad you got a chuckle from my email/blog name!!! I love those little teapot salt and pepper shakers. I agree with you about them being great for Halloween. So would those flocked owls you got. I's say you hit the mother load!! LOL Isn't it a blast when you can do that!! XO Fran.

laurie -magpie ethel said...

I'll say you moved to a better neck of the woods for sales...awesome finds! Love the teapot salt and pepper shakers - those would have gone home with me too!