Monday, July 19, 2010

Do You Believe in Fate?


Do you believe in fate? I think I might.

Magic has been living under the apple trees in the cow pasture at my parent's house now for almost two weeks. And while I feel comforted knowing what a beautiful and meaningful place that is...it hurts to know that she's not here with us. Somehow I think fate felt that we needed something to help us heal right away. We didn't exactly seek out new companions... Nothing could replace Magic. But after driving Magic back to New York and laying her to rest that evening, my sister told me about some long haired kittens that needed homes at the farm next door. The next door neighbors, who are our second cousins, weren't actively seeking homes for these kittens and so they were otherwise doomed for a hard and short life on the farm, as Magic almost was all those years ago. Their sibling had already been stepped on by a calf, as Magic's sweet brother had been as well.

Ben thought it was too soon, but I knew in my heart that we needed them as much as they needed us. I couldn't imagine having to spend long days in the studio all alone with no one to distract me and no one to pet. And I couldn't bear leaving them behind to live a dangerous life. I convinced him to go look at them and if they were the right age to be taken from their mom, then I knew it would be right. Low and behold, they were the right age and were fluffy adorable little things. Irresistible. The gray and white one cuddled with me instantly.

They came back to Boston with us and slept beneath my feet the whole time.

Since then Sophie and Paige have been filling that hole Magic left in our hearts. It seemed that Magic left us at the time she did almost knowing she had to make way for new lives. She had a brain tumor and lasted far longer than the vet had expected and for that we will be forever grateful...and also grateful for the wonderful gift she has given us with her life...and now with the lives of these kittens that are so well behaved, cuddly, soft and putting big smiles on our faces.

It took me a long time to post about Magic, because I knew it would be hard, and it was. But I thought she deserved for the world to know how special she was. Thank you so much everyone for your touching comments and support. It really has meant a lot to me, especially hearing about all the other special furry family members out there. And while I will love Magic for the rest of my life, now it's time to be happy and rejoice in the new additions to our family. :)

12 comments:

Terri Gordon said...

Oh Crystal, I am so happy for you, those are the sweetest kittens, I love tiger cats. You know we had a dog that was 17 years old and we had to put her down, it took us 7 years to get a new dog and I now know that that was a mistake, we should have gone out and adopted another dog right away to help heal the hurt. What a sweet family you are. Have a wonderful week enjoying your babies. Hugs, Terri

BucksCountyFolkArt said...

Instead of "fate", I think I'd consider that a blessing! Too much of a coincidence if you ask me. : )

Not only is the void being filled in your life, but you also got to give these little kittens a nice, loving home too.

Serendipitous to the extreme~

Jill

Cape Cod Rambling Rose said...

I've been a follower but I don't usually comment here... but today I just had to...

Last summer, both my mom and I each lost our elderly kitties. My cat was 18, and my mom's was 17. We were both devastated as you can imagine. Neither my mom nor I planned on adopting new kitties right away, but within 2 months, we each were blessed with new cats (we adopted shelter kitties). Mom & I found out the birthdates of our new cats, and it just so happens our new kitties were born during the same month our older cats passed away! PS my mom and I live an hour away from each other, so none of the cats were related, but we had near identical experiences. I like what BucksCounty said about things like this being a blessing. ;)

YOUR KITTENS are ADORABLE!!!

Vintage Fairy Tales Rebecka said...

Congratulations, they look adorable!
This is a happy ending!
XX
Becky

A Rose Without A Thorn said...

Crystal, I am so happy that you found your too new little bundles of fur to love. I know only to well how devastating the loss of a beloved pet can be. We said there would be no more but guess what we now have two dogs and a cat that we rescued.

The cat came into our home only four months ago having literally been at deaths door. He was a very sad, bald, bone thin cat with missing teeth and no whiskers.

Today he is beautiful apart from the missing teeth. It makes Pepto look diferent. We named him Pepto from the movie 'Life Stinks' with Mel Brooks. It seemed appropriate somehow.

Those two little cats will return your love ten fold, enjoy, blessings, Maureen

DollZandThingZ said...

They are REALLY, really cute! I am glad you were able to let these little ones into your heart and home. I remember (from long ago) how crazy/funny/cute kittens can be! You will be laughing and smiling at their antics! Sophie and Paige have a lovely new family--congratulations to all!

kerry hawkins art and photo said...

They are so adorable. We lost our Cleo just over a year ago. I really miss her. It is funny then Izzy was born soon after Cleo died. Her mom was a stray. My husband's co-worker saved the mother and the kittens. We couldn't resist. She doesn't replace Cleo but we love having her. I am glad we are adopted her. Good for you guys

Mary B. said...

I love your kittens, Crystal! They are so much fun! Before you know it, they will be up there helping you with your little animals and holiday people.
When my old cat died, I drew and needlepointed a pillow of my cat. You should make a felted kitty of Magic and your two new little ones. You are so talented at that!
Enjoy those beautiful kittens! They are precious.
Mary B.

Mary said...

They are adorable! I'm sure Magic sent them your way, knowing how much you all needed each other.

Darryl Moland said...

No doubt about it! Fate intervened before I lost Luci this past March. I found a cat in my boyfriend's driveway and tried to find its owner, but it didn't happen. Luci was in her last days and there was no way of thinking I could try to "replace" her especially before I had to have her put to sleep (cancer had eaten her tongue). Frida came along and is a companion to my Bengal cat Abella . . . all my close friends who understand the relationship I have with my cats said unanimously that Luci sent her. And Luci probably filled her in on what she needed to do to fill the void before she had to go. This is a parallel story and you should believe in fate! (You'll never believe the word verification that popped up for this comment: "calionst." Luci was a Calico.

Believe in the Magic. I always called Luci my magic cat and I named my freelance business after her (Man and Cat Omnidesign).

You and Ben enjoy your new fateful bundles . . . they're cute as they can be!

Darryl

Anonymous said...

Oh how wonderful the days these kittens will have! I have begged for years to adopt a beautiful golden cocker spaniel named "Girl". She was loved, but never petted or allowed inside because her fleas were so bad. She was fed only table scraps {these were 2 old alcoholic batchlor neighbors}. They finally lost their house and called me. I jumped in my car, ran her to my vet for shots an pills,and then she and I jumped into the shower. She wears small bows on her ears, sleeps under my dressing table and has been renamed "Miss Martha" {the southern belle}. My shiz tsus, Petie and Baby, just consider her one of the Family,--she is! Dottie

vivian said...

they are beautiful. And they do help to heal your heart. Ive been there a few times too many! You should see the sweet litter of siamese kittens that we have right now.. sooo cute!
hugs
vivian